Cumulative, VentusAR

Cumulative Data Refresh: July 2015

We are pleased to announce the latest refresh of our national turbine dataset (for cumulative assessment) which is available from VentusAR (both for app-users and for data-only access). The dataset contains information on the size and location of wind turbines as they pass through the UK planning application systems.

Headline numbers for the July 2015 refresh across the UK are 16,362 projects containing 31,468 turbines. This is approximately 5% more turbines than imported in the May 2015 dataset.

Local Authority Spotlight

Our dataset now contains projects found in 360 UK wide local authorities. In Scotland alone, there are now 4,699 projects containing 13,963 turbines (that is over 8.5% up on the May 2015 release).

The top ten LA’s with the most turbines within the planning system are as follows:


In terms of the “best” or “worst” areas for consented turbines, The Shetland Isles and Renfrewshire are both at one end of the scale having over 80% of all turbines (not individual applications) granted. Angelsey on the other hand has under 20% of all turbines permitted.

Notes to Readers, Users and Editors

The VentusAR July 2015 refresh contains data sourced in the two months up to 1st July 2015 and loaded on 9th July 2015. It contains publicly accessible information about the project and the turbine locations, including turbine type and dimensions.

The dataset can be used as a quick, easy and convenient way to obtain cumulative turbine locations, required as part of the onshore wind development process. More information can be found about the VentusAR national cumulative dataset on the VentusAR website.

This dataset is available to all, whether you are a  VentusAR app customer or not. Non-VentusAR customers can access the data via a secure website by registering as a “portal-only” user.  Please contact us for further information.

If you have other suggestions of interesting statistics (most used turbine model at different sizes) or want to have a custom analysis and report created for a specific area, please email