#PlanTech follows in the footsteps of #PropTech and #FinTech as the technology discussion arm of the planning & development community. PlanTech, best described in the words of the FCC founders is “a showcase for the emerging technologies, innovations and visions that are transforming the way we plan our cities, towns and neighbourhoods“.
What we Did
For those of you who have been following along, and a reminder for those new to the project, our work as part of the Future of Planning was in improving citizen and community engagement throughout the planning & development process. We blogged about the project brief in March this year and delivered a
video from our ambitious working prototype as part of the project report. A summary of our results is listed below.
- Consumer mobile devices are capable of processing BIM data for on-street live visualisation using mixed-reality approaches
- The highest quality videomontage production methods still require some offline processing and manual intervention
- BIM integration provides rapid design review for professional assessment, but consumer access is more valuable when presented with rendered textured surfaces
- The business models show space for commercial innovation in the sector
- Our exciting next developments will take urban visualisation to a whole new level of engagement
Like our recent work in visual route assessment, the video is the most powerful form of delivery and communication. The content below came from the application delivered for the project and shows BIM data for part of the Tottenham Court Road interchange redevelopment for The Elizabeth Line / Crossrail development in London.
(demonstration video, not to be utilised for Visual Impact Assessment)
For anyone interested in more detail relating to the results, to discuss opportunities for involvement and engagement in their own projects, or to work on future Future of Planning initiatives with us… please get in touch.